Unfortunately criminal activity increases during the holiday season. Whether you are venturing out shopping, engaging in entertainment, celebrating the holidays at home, or traveling to visit family or friends:
- Be sure to ensure your home and car doors are locked.
- Do not forget to activate your alarm systems.
- If you are out after dark try to stay near well-lit areas.
- Whenever possible try not to go out after dark or at night alone.
- Make an extra effort to be vigilant of your surroundings and be aware of strangers that approach you on foot or in a vehicle.
- Try to keep at least one hand free at all times.
- Keep your cell phone or remote panic button handy, in order to alert others if you have an emergency or critical incident.
- Try to notify someone, via phone, email or text, if you plan on being out alone or for an extended time period.
- Always tell someone if you plan on drastically changing your normal routine and have a check-in plan.
- Break down all boxes for TVs and other electronic equipment or expensive items.
- If you are traveling and will be away from your home, consider signing up for the free vacation watch service from the Harris County Sheriff’s Office (select MUD 71 from the “HCSO Contracts” drop down menu): https://apps.harriscountyso.org/Programs/programs_VacationWatch.aspx.
If you see any suspicious activity in the District, please report it promptly to the Harris County Sheriff’s Office, at (713) 221-6000. As always, in the event of an emergency situation, please dial 9-1-1.
Be safe, and have a happy holiday season!