The National Weather Service has advised that subfreezing temperatures are likely beginning Thursday night and into Friday morning following the passage of a strong cold front. Freeze Warnings and possible Hard Freeze Warnings can be expected. High temperatures could quite possibly remain below freezing throughout the day on Friday and not warm up above freezing until during the day on Saturday.
If you experience any issues with pipe bursts or very low water pressure, please contact the District’s operator, Regional Water Corporation, at (281) 897-9100.
Steps for Winterizing your Home
- Insulate pipes with insulation sleeves, wrapping or using slip-on foam pipe insulation. Do not leave any gaps without insulation as cold air can affect the pipe in these spaces.
- Winterize your sprinkler system by turning the water off to your system and draining your backflow preventer.
- Maintain a safe heating source inside your home to protect pipes against cold.
- Open cabinets underneath faucets.
- Disconnect hoses and insulate outdoor faucets with covers or blankets.
- House shut off valve: know where your shut off valve is located in case of an emergency. The valve is usually located on the side of the house near the garage. With some homes, the valve is inside the garage wall.
- If traveling for the holidays, it is recommended that you turn the water off at house shut off valve and drain all your plumbing.